2018 Summary of Meetings, Events, Activity Participation, Programs and Donations
Events and Activities
“Tee It Up for the Troops” at Horseshoe Bay, Door County (July 9)
Detachment members volunteered at the 16th hole where the flag was replaced by the US flag. Funds raised at this event went to the Veterans’ Home in Milwaukee.
Marine Corps League Birthday Celebration, Nightingale Restaurant, Sturgeon Bay (November 3)
US Marine Corps Birthday Ball, Green Bay (November 10)
Veterans’ Day Event at Sturgeon Bay High School (November 12)
Toys for Kids, Door County (November to December)
Toys for Tots, Brown County Area (November to December)
Distributed Holiday Baskets to 5 Door County Marine Corps Veterans (Detachment members)
Distributed Holiday Baskets to 10 Marine Corps families in need within Brown County
Activities to Support Veterans
Armed Forces Breakfast at Corpus Christi Church, Sturgeon Bay (May 19)
Members volunteered to help prepare food days beforehand and cooking and serving on the day of the event.
Green Bay Vet Center Booyah Bash, Green Bay (August 25)
Members had a table set up along with the detachment trailer as a backdrop.
Veterans Meet and Greet, Concordia College, Green Bay (September 12)
Members volunteered to set up a table and interact with veterans and other groups.
UW-GB Veterans’ Benefit Forum, Green Bay (November 16)
Members volunteered to set up a table and distribute information on the detachment’s activities.
Presentations and Recognition
Certificates presented to the following for their monetary contributions to the Toys for Kids Program of Door County: Sister Bay Lions Club
Richard’s Pub and Grille
Leon Jacques & the Burger King Boys
Eagle Scout Court of Honor Troop 1113, Howard Area (January 6)
Commandant presented 3 certificates. This was the third group of three within the year’s time. All nine were present for a group photo. Many detachment members were in attendance.
Chaplin recognized the passing of the following members
Clayton Chipman (of Milwaukee)
John Joseph Utnehmer
James Vanidestine, Sr. Vice Commandant
Color Guard Services
Funeral of John Joseph Utnehmer
Memorial Day Activities, Sturgeon Bay (May 28)
1 nursing home
Valmy Brat Fry (July 21)
Harvest Fest, Sturgeon Bay (September 21)
Rose Sale at Packers game (November 11)
Toys for Kids, Door County
Toys for Tots, Green Bay Area
Fisher House, Milwaukee; The facility is located near the Veterans’ Hospital with the purpose of accommodating families while their military family member is receiving medical treatment at the hospital.
Tee It Up For the Troops, Door County (July 9); This sponsored one veteran and guest to participate.
Marine Corps Birthday Ball, Green Bay
Shop with a Cop, Door County
Shop with a Cop, Brown County
Shop with a Cop, Kewaunee County
Shop with a Cop, Oconto County
Shop with a Cop, Twin Cities (Marinette & Menominee, MI)
Our Detachment is looking for Marines in Northeast Wisconsin who would like to reconnect with fellow Marine veterans in the area. We are also looking to grow our Detachment so that we can do more to help out our fellow veterans. Our Detachment has a lot to offer to our fellow veterans including community events, fundraising, assisting local veterans in need, and building on our camaraderie and brotherhood. Please come to one of our monthly meetings or if you see a red garrison cover in the community, please stop over. We would love to hear from you.
DNR Salutes our Veterans
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources would like to thank both those currently serving and those who have previously served in the armed forces. A number of opportunities exist to enjoy Wisconsin’s outdoors, and to thank you for your past and present service, we would like to remind you of some privileges offered by the department.
· Resident Purple Heart recipients can purchase a Conservation Patron license at a reduced rate (Resident – $10, Nonresident – $161). In addition, a non-resident Purple Heart recipient may receive hunting, fishing and trapping approvals at resident rates.
· Returning Wisconsin resident veterans will receive a one-time free small game, archery, gun deer or annual fishing license. Veterans who wish to receive a free hunting or fishing license must first contact the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) to determine their eligibility for this program. Eligible veterans will receive a voucher code that may be redeemed at the DNR within 365 days of discharge. Voucher codes may be redeemed in one of two ways:
1. In person at any DNR Service Center, or
2. By calling the DNR Call Center at 1-888-WNDRINFo (1-888-936-7463) to receive your free license by mail or to arrange for pick up at any DNR Service Center.
· Veterans may qualify for a one-time fee waiver for an occupational or professional license. To find out if you qualify for the fee waiver program or to find a complete list of eligible Wisconsin licenses visit Department of Veterans Affairs [exit DNR]. Veteran’s eligibility related questions should be directed to the Veteran’s Benefit Resource Center via web chat [exit DNR], email or phone 1-800-947-8387. A list of licenses that qualify for a veterans license fee waiver can be found here.
· Certain Wisconsin resident disabled veterans and former prisoners of war are eligible to receive waivers of vehicle admission and trail pass fees. To apply for this fee waiver, follow the instructions below.
1. Download and complete the Disabled Veteran Free State Park/Forest/Trail Pass Application [PDF]
2. Take the completed application to your County Veteran Service Officer [exit DNR] (CVSO) to certify. The application must be signed and stamped by the CVSO.
3. Mail the certified application to:
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Bureau of Parks and Recreation 101 S Webster St PO Box 7921 Madison WI 53707
4. The Bureau of Parks and Recreation will mail you an identification card to be presented each time you visit a state park, forest or recreation area. The park, forest or recreation area will then issue a courtesy pass for the day. When using state trails requiring a trail pass, carry the identification card with you.
· You can find more information here.